Thursday, November 22, 2012

MK no RoA

Happy Thanksgiving.

A while ago I read a rumor that future development at MK, post-FLE, might happen in Frontierland, and could bring an end to (i)the Rivers of America, (ii)the circumnavigating riverboat, and (iii)TSI as we know them today.  TSI in its isolation is one of my favorite things about MK, so I can't say I support this idea, but I still wanted to visualize what such a river-less future MK might look like, so I put together this plan:



The east side of the park follows my birds-eye illustration posted here earlier in the year:

I added Indiana Jones & the Lost Expedition to Adventureland for IdealBuildout reader Tasman. (A complimentary idealbuildout DHS would lose the Indy stunt show).  The Indy ride, the Jungle Cruise (with a reversed course to enter the bigger of the two temples last) and the RR would all come together in a show space as seen in the famous Bryan Jowers’ masterpiece.  This version wouldn't have the mine-cart coaster.


In Frontierland, I assumed one of the major goals of potentially doing away with the Rivers and Liberty Belle would be to alleviate the dead-end/choke point around the Big Thunder and Splash Mtn entrances - making a full loop to Liberty Sq./Fantasyland.  My plan does this, while keeping TSI intact (but now accessible by footbridges).  The permanently-moored riverboat would become a restaurant.    Since there is still a lot of unused ‘river’, I thought of a Huck Finn version of aquatopia (or possibly rider-directed and powered rafts, rather than LPS).


The northwest corner of the park (where much of the Rivers are filled-in) becomes available for new development.  Always in favor of a healthy does of originality in the parks, I put in a new mini-land, Borderlands, that is a bridge of Old West & Fantasy with elements of sci-fi & steampunk… something akin the Stephen King’s Dark Tower: gunslingers meet wizards.  This is a dangerous place (Fort Langhorn stands guard against it) inhabited with all new characters and a major E-ticket adventure.


This built-out version of MK loses two rides (Riverboat & Speedway), but adds four E-tickets, a D, and a couple of lower-scale attractions.  

***





20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to had you back online

megatron_85 said...

welcome back

ScorpionX said...

ERMAGHERD; BERDERLERNDS! (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ermahgerd) Anyways, this is a great layout for the park. I like how you brought some of California's carefully designed worlds to Florida.

Anonymous said...

When will your older plan images be back up

Anonymous said...

Shut up anonymous

Mike said...

First I want to welcome you back and hope you are doing well after the storm. Hope your Thanksgiving was a blessed one.

Second, while never have been to WDW I like the idea of keeping part of RoA as part of the park even if it's just for aesthetic purposes.

Liberty Square seems quite tiny and wonder if you would consider it a good idea to retheme it to incorporate the area as part of a new Frontierland or as part of your Borderland area. I realize this would mean trying to make Haunted Mansion fit in seamlessly.

SWW said...

Hey Mike, Thanks for the kind words and thank you to those above for the welcome back.

You ask an interesting question. Here are my feelings. I don't think Frontierland or Liberty Square really require any physical changes such as the ones I've illustrated in this plan. Someone wrote about the key role the Rivers play in selling the ideas of Frontier & Wilderness, in that the waters passes through mature woods, around a bend and out of sight. This is a unique asset to the park that should not be squandered, so I tried to keep something of that in this plan (the backstage canal access still gives a sense of an ongoing river.

WDW was my base park experience, so I feel about Liberty Sq like a lot of West Coasters probably feel towards NOSQ - it's a unique treasure, especially when properly-operated (with specialty merch, fife & drum corps, etc.).

As far as folding LSQ into Frontierland: it already sort of is/was in the way MK was artfully designed: one begins in civilized east of the Colonial Era (Hudson Valley mansion, Boston & Philadelphia), then moves westward with the pioneers to the frontier: the Mississippi & Missouri rivers, the Mountain West (country bears), and finally, the wilder, desert Southwest(Thunder). Splash Mtn. was dropped in and didn't quite fit the pattern.

And I have no problem with small lands.

***

Regarding re-upping old plans. I am working on illustrative versions at which point I may re-post. I am contemplating ways to change up the site, maybe to make it a sort of semi-public Cooperative or Workshop and also eliminate spam. Suggestions are welcome.


ProjectTurtle said...

Great illustration hopefully tomorrowland and frontierland gets an expansion since WDW is also my go to vacation park.

One thing though. Did you pay for autocad because it looks expensive?

Jim Logue said...

I was thinking that LS could use an expansion along with an eventual expansion of Fantasyland to connection them.

protojimbo said...

Glad to see you back! At WDW and at DL the islands are now one of my favorite features. But I have to admit, even when I was a kid, I sometimes skipped the island (and the tree house and the riverboat) because it wasn't a 'ride'. At this in my life, I wish there were more walkthroughs, but, from what I understand, they just don't bring the traffic in like other attractions. I understand why your plan keeps the river intact, but I honestly think they are planning on filling the whole thing in, and recapturing a lot of real estate in doing so. With all of this space converted to land, there would be room to expand Frontierland and LS a bit (to hem them in on the 'river' side) and you'd still have space for an all new land. As much as we'd like to keep the immersive landscape and park-like quality of the setting, they could probably fit another 5-6 attractions in the space of 2 fairly low traffic ones. Sadly, Mark Twain is not as much a part of growing up in America as it used to be. I don't want to see the rivers go, but I'm still excited to see what they'll come up with to fill it in! The quality of Carsland and the FLE have rekindled a lot of my faith in Disney's domestic park development.

Anonymous said...

Had you got upcoming posts like Paramount Park and Warner Bros. Movie World

blahblahblah said...

Hello! I loves all your ideas and drawings like so much, for some reason I always love looking on google maps and stuff at Disney parks it's kinda werid. Anyways, could you (in a non-pressurizing manner) please do a themed theme park? Like with water slides that have dark ride sections and stuff - I've always wanted to see that in a water park, but I sadly havnt - even in Disney. thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you open up a deviantart account

B.J. said...

I share your sentiment about keeping TSI in isolation. As a parent, one of the things I like about it is that I can take my preschool age kids there and let them run around without any worries about them getting lost in the crowd. They can work off a lot of energy there after being stuck in lines or a stroller. I can't think of anywhere else in WDW where this is possible. I just hope that whoever is in charge of future developments takes things like that into account. It may not have the traffic or gift shops that other places have, but it does have a value to some of us that can't be measured.

SWW said...

Well said, B.J.. I agree.

Blahblah, I've done heavily-themed water parks, but haven't considered a water park that is more of a wet theme park. That is an interesting idea and I will give it some thought.

Jimbo, on the macro-scale and aesthetically, I think there is greater value in keeping a low traffic, wooded area inside the park, especially a place where some people can escape the crowds. To me, the business focus at WDW should be to get attendance up at the other parks, rather than continue to up capacity (and thereby attendance) at the MK.

blahblahblah said...

Thank you. You're a good blogger cuz every other blog I comment a question on doesn't get replied. Thank you

Anonymous said...

How about doing a double feature post?

Anonymous said...

Test

Anonymous said...

Flattered to see a mention of me in the description! Haven't stopped by in a while but it's always a treat to look at your creations.

- Tasman

Anonymous said...

Wait why is the illustrated map so small? I can't make anything out!