Thursday, December 15, 2011

Enhancing HKDL's Castle & Contest Announcement

Here's a quick creative entry followed by an announcement regarding the first ever IdealBuildout Design Contest.



First, I wanted to examine ways in which the HKDL Castle could be enhanced (i.e., heightened).  I feel that each DL-style park should have its own unique castle as its signature icon.  I think the SB castle design is a little too short, squat and underwhelming for its surroundings - not as soaring or majestic as it could be.  The idea here is to make it a little taller & grander - similar in proportion to Paris' castle: the paradigm of proportionality - while keeping most of the features of the original.  It remains deferential but stands as its own unique centerpiece:


And a quick photoshop of the middle version:


***
Now, on to The Contest...  ImagineeringDisney had an armchair contest early this year in which some pretty impressive work was submitted, and I thought it might be fun to do the same thing here.

The rules are simple.  

1. Dream up a theme park (or water park).  It can be an enhancement of an existing park, an all-star park, or - hopefully - something new. 

2. Draw your park (pencil, digitally, colored pen - doesn't matter). Points awarded for detail, clarity, professionalism, creativity.  Supplementary illustrations welcome.

3. Annotate your drawing (label) and include a written description (length at your discretion).

4. Submit your park drawing/description to me via email (address in About Me section at left) by midnight on December 30th, 2011.  

Shortly thereafter winners will be announced, shared & discussed here.   The winner(s) will have the option to request customized site plans (if desired) or concept artwork done by me for their park. 

Hoping you will have some fun with this and create some outstanding visual materials for your parks.

 

11 comments:

kermitdefrog said...

This contest sounds great! I'm thinking about doing one of my parks from the NEW Project Gemini.

Anonymous said...

I'm in, I have a great idea, so other competitors better watch out, haha, no joking:P good luck everybody

Anonymous said...

Guys can do Disney-Warner Bros Studios Tokyo might be soon enough I think.

Erock said...

This makes me SO happy. I've been developing my own custom theme park for a few months now, however, I am FAR from an artist so my "blue prints" are pretty awful, haha. I thought about e-mailing you guys and asking for help, but this contest is perfect! I'll be submitting mine =)

Sam said...

I'm in as well, i've been developing a pretty special park for a couple of months now. Better watch out ;p

SWW said...

Terrific! Great to see some enthusiasm.

comics101 said...

Gah! I wish I had time to join! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with, this is gonna be great!
Oh and I really love what you did with HK's castle. I agree that every castle should be different, even the names of the castles. I suppose the thought was that this was the DL of the east...
With such a beautiful backgound, it's really a shame HK's castle isn't a little bit more kapowee!

SWW said...

^I'd guess the decision had as much (or more) to do with cost-savings/budgeteering than the PR line of being a "tribute to the original." SBC is small and already blueprinted.

Too bad you're not entering the contest... that's like Federer sitting out of Wimbledon.

comics101 said...

Yeah, I was trying to be positive and look for the silver lining, though I think you're probably right about the moolah...

And oh gosh lol I don't know that I'm the Federer of armchair theme park design hahaha I think you probably deserve that title. I am trying to see if I can get a map drawn in time, but the week leading up to Christmas is always so crazy in my family lol.

Anonymous said...

Guys can do Disney-Warner Bros Studios Tokyo might be soon enough I think.

RV Camping San Fernando Valley said...

This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.