Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sydney Disneyland

A little while back I received a request to draw a park based on this drawing by Ludovic Lefort:
While a drawing like this is a little too rough for me to translate, I decided to take this park on because there were some interesting features in his written description.  Ludovic's first language is French so there was a significant communication barrier, and my final drawing reflects my variation on his idea, rather than a straight translation of his park:



AMERICAN SEAPORT:  Ludovic wanted a typical, geometrical Main Street, but with a yesteryear Rhode Island/Mytic, CT theme rather than Middle America.  I took his idea further and opened Main Street into a bigger version of DisneySea's Cape Cod, influenced by Melville, Pete's Dragon, Nantucket, etc.

There is ride similar in scale to PotC, but based on northeastern nautical legends and folklore.

BIG RIVER BEND: Continuing with the idea of new twists on classic Disney lands, this Frontierland reflects not the frontier of mesas & cowboys, but the more civilized midwest and south (e.g. Mark Twain's Mississippi).

COUNTRY CIRCUS: I liked the idea of separating the American-set story of Dumbo from the pre-20th c. European fairytales of Fantasyland.  
image from progresscityusa.com

ADVENTURE PASS: Adventureland here is miniaturized, reflecting South Pacific and Himilayan exoticsm that may be appropriate for the Australian market.  The train passes through a lengthy JungleCruise-style show scene (ruined temple, Elephant grotto, orangutans).  Everest is designed so that the sides facing Adventure Pass resemble the Himalayas while the side facing Fantasyland resembles an Alpine peak.

FANTASYLAND: Fantasyland is buffered by a number of wooded exploration zones.  A castle based on The Beast's (with restaurant) is the park icon.  Bambi's Woods is a transition area from the American Big River to the animation-dominated FL.   The Teacups are found within Alice's Labyrinth.  As mentioned above, the Alpine side of Everest serves as the backdrop to the regionally-appropriate dark rides of Pinocchio and Snow White.   The Pixie Hollow area once planned for MK is also here:

TOONTOWN:  The two new attractions in this version of Toontown include a dry-land Aquatopia-like ride (Motor Mania) as well as a major motorbike launch coaster themed to Darkwing Duck.

HOLLYWOOD: Home to both a light look at Disney & Pixar Animation as well as the darker side of classic Tinsel-town.  One can imagine the possibilities of a Golden Age Hollywood-themed Haunted Mansion, which can connect in subtle ways to the ToT mythology.
Desmond Villa from 'Sunset Boulevard'

TOMORROWLAND:  Here, Tomorrowland is a fantasy Spaceport, with Star Tous, Skytopia (hovercrafts), a spinner with mini-Treasure Planet space galleons, and a Space Mountain with a Black Hole story overlay.

DISCOVERY EXPOSITION: The final land I based on the rivet & iron look of the famous Paris Expositions of the 19th Century.  The attractions are heavily influenced by Jules Verne (e.g. 20K Under the Sea from DisneySea with a Nautilus walkthrough as its queue, an Around the World in 80 Days in the style of IASW, a steampunk version of Dinosaur (aka Countdown to Extinction, a verions of Soarin')... a lot of heavy hitters in the bottom of the line-up.
 
***

So there is another variation on a theme of a Disneyland-style park.  As mentioned in the beginning, this was based on a reader submission, with a great deal of personal interpretation.  I am always open to guest submissions, although I can't promise that I'll be able to draw them (a decently-scaled, cleanly drawn plan goes a long way, however)




16 comments:

megatron_85 said...

that's great...by the way what happened to disney's america?

happy 4th of july

SWW said...

^ Hey. Thanks. Happy 4th to you too.

Interesting point you bring up. I've drawn (copied) Disney's America site plan in my style without making any changes and additions... In its original state it's a pretty sparse park and not a terribly interesting plan. Once I add a lot to it, I'll post it, but with its layout it isn't easy to imagine where new attractions could go, since the real estate is taken up by necessarily-large empty zones like the Battlefield, the Lake, the Baseball diamond and the Farm. If you, or anyone, has suggestions for additions to Disney's America I'd like to hear them.

comics101 said...

Actually, I've been designing a Disney's America park for sometime, however I've never gotten around to making any siteplans for it (curently I'm working on a variation of DL). As you've already stated, from what I've seen DA was pretty empty, and didn't appear to have too much to do. I've kinda taken the liberty of adding to the concept, however I'm not sure if everything I'd like would fit on the plot orignally intended for DA. If you need ideas, I'd be happy to send them to you, or post them here...whatever you'd like.

Btw, great job with Sydney DL. It looks awesome! I've always believed a NE Mainstreet would be awsome. Keep up the great work!

Magic Lamp said...

Wow, great setup and brilliant execution. I very much like the Seaport - it's completely new yet familiar. Though, I do question why you placed the Haunted Mansion and the Tower of Terror next to each other, isn't that too much scare in one place? ;-) Unless Hightower went into the entertainment business and ticked off the wrong kind of people...

BTW, I'm close to completing my design, and you just provided me with the necessary inspiration to finish it...

comics101 said...

^^
That's a very good point. I was also wondering if perhaps this HM would have a similar story to Hotel Mel, where you travel onto a haunted movie set?

Magic Lamp said...

A Haunted Hollywood, now there's a twist.

comics101 said...

Haunted Hollywod would actually be pretty coo, and could work if the Disney Animation thing turned out to be a ride based on Disney Villians...

SWW said...

I was aware that two similarly-set haunted attractions right next to each other might be a little much when I translated the plan... but I like where you're going with Haunted Hollywood. As far as the Haunted Mansion... according to Ludovic it would have a backstory about the villa belonging to a former Movie Star who succumbed to his/her ego, hedonism, envy, addictions,. etc and turned to dark paths.

Magic Lamp, look forward to seeing your design.

Comics101, I agree with you about Disney's America... I really like the concept of an American history theme park, and I also like all the concept art that came out when the park was proposed... but on an attraction basis, there wasn't much (e.g., no AA dark rides) to make a conceptual site plan very interesting. Seeing a Civil War battle with hundreds of reenactors would be cool, but on a site plan it's just a huge expanse of solid green... Since I've already drawn the park as is, if your ideas are extensions of that original, I'd like to hear about them. You can email me and maybe we can collaborate on an expanded Disney's America.

comics101 said...

^I already emailed them to you, but Idk if any of them would work in the original site plans or not :/ I'll have to look at the original DA again and see. I'm sure we can come up with something...

RabidLeroy said...

Hmm... that sounds like a potential blueprint for the first Australian Disneyland if there ever was one. If you can see inside my head, one possible Tomorrowland attraction might be to have an interactive zoo where guests can interact with Stitch and the other alien experiments (in this case, a much better equivalent of the Stitch's Great (re: Fail) Escape ride that I personally might like to replace given the chance.)

Anonymous said...

Randy, I have a request for new theme park. Will you make Disney-Warner Bros. Studios Backlot with alot of rides, shops, resturants?
I heard Disney and Warner Bros. make their movie together called 1906 in 2012.

Anonymous said...

btw, toontown doesn't exist

'Randy' aka SWW said...

^^ RabidLeroy, I got your email and will check out the WOL re-imagined site when I get a chance.

^Anon, to make a request you've got to first give it a go yourself - laying out the Disney-WB park with whatever tools are at your disposal. Then there is the potential for me to interpret it.

Anonymous said...

If I send you a by my desgined theme park, drawed on a paper or something, are you able to turn that into a map like the ones on your site? Because I have two ideas, One for Pixar Place, and the second for Kuzco's Kingdom. If you are able to make that, please let me know and wich one of the two ideas attracts you the most, than I wil design it and you will be able to turn it into a map. Do you need my emailadres?

SWW said...

^ I might be able to, but I can't guarantee it. A lot depends on the detailed-ness/accuracy of your initial drawing. You can email me by going to the "About Me" section of the blog.

Cheers,

Ludovic Lefort said...

Thank you for the description of my park. I draw on paper the many concepts of my park.