Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Guest Feature

This week, I'm taking a break from presenting my own work to share the conceptual site plans of an Ideal Buildout reader.  Bruce Beisner was kind enough to share his armchair imagineering ideas for an integrated Disney resort.  What follows are his words and images.

***

"Since your October 1 post invited submissions by others, I thought I would share some designs I have come up with for a possible new Disneyland Resort.  I'm not sure where in the world to build this. Maybe Brazil might be a good market for a Disney expansion since it has a high population density and a relatively stable economy right now. That would also give Disney a major park complex on every continent except Australia, Africa and Antarctica. But ultimately the location doesn't really matter to me.

I envision a resort complex with two theme parks, a pirate-themed waterpark, five resort hotels and a shopping/entertainment complex.  In laying out my two theme parks, I had the following issues in mind:

1. To incorporate a balanced mix of the best attractions from the current Disney parks around the world and to add some new ride concepts as well. Building identical versions of popular attractions that already exist would reduce development costs and I think is OK.

2. To make each of the two parks of similar size and to distribute the most popular attractions equally between them. This would avoid the unfortunate situation we see in Anaheim and Paris where one park clearly dominates the other.

3. To have almost all attractions, shops and dining explicitly themed to Disney characters and films. I think in this day and age anyone can build a jungle-themed area, but only Disney can build a Disney-themed Jungle area. This means re-theming some popular attractions, such as the Jungle Cruise, to include characters and references to "The Jungle Book," for example. This also means no Star Wars or Indian Jones. I think this would please Walt.

4. To keep my designs reasonable in scope and not beyond what might be possible to actually build. For example, my Radiator Springs Raceway would be an Autopia type ride rather than a Test Track design. I also have cut a few ideas that I really like such as a Mulan roller coaster and a Bedknobs and Broomsticks dark ride.
 
Please let me know your thoughts and comments!









A few words about some of the entirely new ride concepts at these two parks:
Mrs. Pott's Dancing Cupboard- I envision replacing the standard Mad Tea Party Fantasyland attraction with a spinning tea cup ride with ride vehicles that run on a trackless LPS system, using similar technology used in Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland. The ride would be themed to Beauty and the Best with Lumiere, Mrs. Potts and Chip characters moving along with the cups  

TRON: Escape from the Grid-  This would be a simulator experience similar to Back to the Future The Ride at Universal Studios Japan, where guests board individual light cycles arranged in stair stepped rows before a domed screen. (I figure if the attraction is fun, it will be popular, even if this new TRON movie is a bomb. This has happened before, like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride which is hugely popular even though the movie was not a hit.)

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin- WOD's Toon Town would have a wild mouse roller coaster with spinning cars, themed to the Roger Rabbit film. While not as cool as Crush's Coaster, I think this would be a more successful version than either Primeval Whirl or Mulholland Madness

Soarin' Down Under- Also in Toon Town is a new version of the hugely popular Soarin' attraction. The ride would be directly tied to the Rescuers franchise by creating a storyline where guests have been enlisted to be part of the Rescue Aid Society. The ride film would feature locations across Australia

101 Dalmatians Adventure- Guests get taken into Cruella Deville's wild car chase sequence from 101 Dalmatians in this dark ride which would utilize Test Track type technology. Sets would be elaborate, but there would be no high-speed outdoor section. 

Monsters Inc: Hide and Go Shriek- Join Mike and Sulley as they race to help Boo escape from Randall on this dark ride that is actually an enclosed suspended roller coaster with immersive dark ride elements. This would be an exciting but mild thrill ride, not too intense for children.   

The Incredibles Super Hero Challenge- Toy Story Midway Mania is rapidly becoming a Disney favorite. I would create a new version using the same basic technologies but theme it to The Incredibles. Here the interactive midway games become tests of guests' super hero abilities."

***

Thanks, Bruce! 
 
 

9 comments:

"RandySavage" said...

It took shrinking to notice that the whole resort was a giant hidden mickey... a nice touch.

I like the resort layout a lot - with everything efficiently sited in a circle and the monorail reaching all points of interest.

As I mentioned to you, I personally take a different tack content-wise, as I prefer to emphasize non-Disney, character-less attractions on at least a 60-40 basis. But there are people (and actual Disney management seems to be listening) who want all-'Disney' when they go to a Disney park, and you have delivered that in spades.

I also like to add audacious, bank-breaking attractions, rather than more realistic, modest ones.
To your credit, your moderation in attraction scope and easing of thematic blinders has given a resort that could be much more realistically built by today's Company than most of the things I've drawn.

Thanks again for submitting these very cool ideas.

megatron_85 said...

Thank you Bruce!

Alwax said...

Great resort, Bruce. Like Randy says, it seems like something that could be realistically built. I really like the idea of the pirate themed water park, I wish they'd build something like that somewhere. And I think the themed restaurants would be great. I love that you've given focus to lesser known films, like the Emperor's New Groove.

However, I do feel that one of the greatest Disney attractions of all time is missing here: The Tower of Terror!

Lorenzo T said...

There's nice things that i found brilliant like the idea of build a main street themed with cartoons characters, in magic kingdom park, or an entire land dedicated to the sea, that remind me DisneySea, in the second park. But i didn't like this tipe of resort that is the same kind of florida wdw, and i think that world of disney park has a not good disposition of street and buildings and it haven't any new attractions that impress me much. Maybe you have to redesign your second park, to make it in a better light, with some adjustment of circulation and, maybe, you have to add new kind of rides, totally new and more surprising. I'm sorry for my adverse criticisms and for my bad english, i hope you'll forgive me. Bye, from Italy!

Douglas said...

kinda neat but needs more non film rides to feel more special. feels small just like WDW but you did manage to reimagine some rides like i did with my resort thats still in brainstorming.

Andrew said...

I liked this integrated resort. Lake Lillian is really cool as it makes everything very accessible. The size of the lake must be awesome for the golf course to take up so little room ;) I am pretty sure there were rumours of a Brazil theme park or something similar, but this fully integrated resort ticks all the boxes. I agree with Douglas though that there should be non-movie specific attractions (Walt had that in mind with the original Disneyland, thus spawning Jungle cruise etc) But in any case great work :D

megatron_85 said...

Uh, Guys, Any More Comments?

Stitch101 said...

I don't really have much to say. The parks look interesting, but theming every attraction to a movie/tv show isn't really up my alley. I think that's why no one else is posting here.

Sam said...

I Very much like this parks, They're balanced, Full of fun e-tickets and could be built in real life, the only thing I miss is a nod to Aristocats.